2010/1/17 Zach Bartels <no / spam.com>:
> So its seems I've opened a can of worms wrt/Sqlite, hmm.
> I'm wrong, then I'm on the wrong track, it's that simple :)

The good news is that you'll likely be able to reuse most of the SQL
and probably just need to write a new schema definition for another DB
and exchange the DB connector.  So it might not be too big a deal.

> Sometimes you have to learn through your failures.  §
> reads as arrogance to some of you, but I'm simply not afraid to fail.

I'd go even further and claim that it's _only_ through failures that
we learn.  Side note: I find the constructivist theory of reality
convincing: there is not absolute reality we can "see" but instead we
create our own idea of reality whenever we have to change our concept
of it (i.e. when we hit a "wall").  See also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructivist_epistemology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructivism_(learning_theory)#Learning_is_an_active.2C_social_process

> Although I don't -like- to fail,      > I appreciate input from all perspectives, but at the same time there's
> no need for some of it to be so condescending, "matter of fact"
> either. I'm not here to do anything but discuss my ideas and benefit
> from a little wisdom when I feel its been given.     > I'm not the only one who believes concurrency probably isn't as big a
> problem as its being made out to be. I likely won't be doing
> multiplayer with my current project as it is.
> banter, for the sake of it;   > would be a start from a fresh code base / perspective as it is, only
> taking over what useful bits I've learned up till then.

Good.

> Fair point on the Inform recommendation,
> me combining two aspirations into one task.
> solely for the sake of one, but also because I want to learn to
> program in some kind of useful language.     > same time? I didn't mean to sound dispariging about early text
> game's either,  ɧ
> complex parsers out there I could only begin to understand.

IMHO that approach will yield best learning results because from your
project you get a motivation much better than from text book examples
(which doesn't mean those are good from time to time as well because
they confront us with other knowledge or solutions).

> Re: Google wave. Never heard of it until I looked it up, sorry! p
> I'm not sure I would make for good conversation anyway. I'm also
> terribly shy when it comes to actual verbal conversation.... so..
> yeah.   ɧ
> ahead of me in terms of implementation -
> "brainstorming" of ideas though,      > decided it's best to start learning is, I knew I'd never find any sane
> coder who would let me dictate all these weird ideas and the ways
> things should work,  廩
> real free time to start development and get some retainable knowledge
> under my belt,
> me or anyone else       > you guys with my

Frankly, I am not so sure about Google Wave either.  It's still pretty
slow and seems quirky.  Use the tools you feel comfortable with.

> I do appreciate everyones input.
You're welcome!  Have fun!

Kind regards

robert