My only concern with with this from their readme file:

"The Windows SDK components and Microsoft Foundation Classes are not
included in the 11.0c update. If you wish to do Windows programming you are
required to have a prior version of Watcom C/C++ 11.0, especially for MFC
support. Watcom C/C++ 10.6 may work, but this has not been tested."

Seems like they are phasing out (shipping) support for win32 APIs.

From their FAQ:

---
Is everything that was on the Watcom CD available for free download?

No. The commercial versions of the Watcom C/C++ and Fortran compilers
contained licensed copies of the Windows SDK, Microsoft Foundation Classes,
OS/2 Toolkit and other commercial tools. Due to licensing issues, those
components cannot be made freely available. Hence in order to utilise the
11.0c binary patch release, you will need an official copy of the 11.0,
11.0a or 11.0b installation CD.
---

So whereas this compiler should work to build Ruby it will not directly
support the building of Win32 extensions that leverage the Win32 API set.

-Rich