Since people are talking about the mysql gem, I thought I'd ask how
you can build it under MinGW. I can't seem to make any combination of
extconf switches work.

I have the standard Windows mysql-5.1.42-win32 installed in
/usr/local/mysql. Do I need some MinGW-specific version? (I've tried
compiling it from source with MSYS/MinGW and also Cygwin, with no
success.)