Gary Wright wrote:
> On Jan 13, 2010, at 10:56 AM, Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
>>
>> ...and Ruby's stupid backslash handling strikes again.  This is a
>> completely brain-dead way to do it, and is one of the few things I
>> really hate about Ruby.
>
> Is this really a Ruby snafu?

Yes.  The problem is that Ruby "helpfully" does another level of
escaping, so that "\\&" is equivaIent to "\&", whereas it should simply
take the escape at face value and consider it equivalent to the two
characters \ and &.

For real fun, try concatenating two strings, the first of which ends in
a backslash.  It's insane.

> It seems like it would be inherent in
> any sort of character escape sequence, of which there are many
> examples that have nothing at all to do with Ruby.

But Ruby has its own special brand of idiocy here.  Even Perl and PHP
get this right.

> Any pointers to alternative encoding schemes that avoid this problem?

It has nothing to do with encoding.  It's a question of a particular
point of stupidity in Ruby's parser and/or String class.

> Gary Wright

Best,
--??
Marnen Laibow-Koser