Albert Schlef wrote:
> It'd be faster if you use the 'alias' keyword instead of wrapping the
> call in a function of your own because then you save one function call.

Thanks a lot for your answer. This brings up a question on usage of
"rescue". Is it a "code smell" or bad programming?

I recall i've used it in some places where often different datatypes can
come in. Forgetting this, over time , I've added a ".length()" check or
".trim()", "chomp()" etc.

Suddenly, when boolean data or Fixnum comes these lines fail, so I tend
to add a rescue clause. And these are typically in a loop.
Currently, the "rescue" would work for various cases and datatypes. If I
open classes and start adding aliases or methods, I could have to do it
over and over again.

I would appreciate some guidelines on rescue usage.