Ruby Student schrieb:

>Team,
>
>I truly hate to bring this subject back to the forum, as it is like
>killing a dead horse! But I can't help it, as my frustration keeps on
>growing!
>
>I am a Ruby, kind of, newbie. I've been in and out of Ruby many times
>for a few years now.
>I am sure that I and other people (I think) could be using Ruby more
>often if there were a "simple" GUI development environment. I put
>simple in quote because I understand that it is a very subjective
>word.
>In the past I experimented with several GUI toolkits, which I know are
>excellent GUI toolkit bindings for ruby, including: Qt, Gtk, Wx, Fox
>and Tk. I also played or tried playing with Monkeybars with Netbeans
>and JRuby; and Shoes. Against my free will I was willing to give it a
>try to IronRuby and  Ruby on Steel.
>
>As you can read I have been looking for a "simple" GUI environment
>where I don't have to "draw" the widgets. I would like to get a GUI
>programming environment where I can drag&drop widgets (diaglog box,
>drop-down list, Etc., Etc.) on a pane and then just worry about the
>programming part to handle or react to the events generated by the
>widgets! I hate to say, but something like VB.
>
>I actually thought that Monkeybars was the answer to my prayers, but I
>guess I did not prayed loud enough or perhaps I need to offer
>sacrifices to the GUI Toolkits gods. The point is that Monkeybars was
>so involved that I went through the tutorial once or twice and then
>gave up.
>The WX people are nice enough to offer help. But I don't want to
>impose on anyone. To compound my problem I find most tutorials
>outdated and many times not explicit enough for beginners.
>
>I also, naively, thought that since IronRuby was from MS, perhaps they
>would have a nice drag&drop GUI design IDE.
>
>If anyone knows an IDE where I can use drag&drop to create GUI appls
>in Ruby/Jruby/IronRuby/AnyRuby, please let me know. I am willing to
>purchase a commercial package, if available.
>
>Thank you for reaching this part of my note, unless you jumped around,
>which is OK also!

Take a look at my tool:
http://jeszra.sourceforge.net/jeszra/

Jeszra generates tcl/tk templates and exports wrapper classes for
Ruby, python and lisp (other languages will follow).

This way all of Tk's ╦┬nd 3rd ventor packagesare available in Ruby, too.
My goal for this year is to bypass tcl/tk completely and to generate SVG 1.2
applications instead.

It is however not an IDE and won't ever, ever become an IDE!

-roger