On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, Matt Armstrong wrote:

> Dave Thomas <Dave / PragmaticProgrammer.com> writes:

<SNIP>

> Some people run all their mail through filters that attempt to catch
> and report SPAM even when posted to mailing lists.  So I doubt you can
> have any kinds of assurances that this won't happen again.  This
> report may even have been generated automatically by such a filter.

Well, I'm not saying that the spam report originates from me or my
mail-feeder, but it might as well.....the box from where I get my
mail-feed runs some pretty aggressive automatic spam-filtering and
reporting. I am not sure exactly *which* criteria is used to determine if
a piece of mail i spam, though - someone else maintains that. Likewise, on
my local mail-box I do automatic and aggressibe filtering (and
/dev/null'ing - not reporting) on whatever mail gets through to me.

(Still, I should add, I get hit by 5-10 spams/day in my inbox...)

> What you may be able to do is make the origin of the mail more
> obvious.  Maybe stick a big fat Received: line at the beginning of
> each news message before sending it off to the mailing list.

<SNIP>

> Experienced SPAM fighters would think twice about reporting you if
> they see that, and your ISP might get a clue and call you before
> turning off your service.

Also, it would make it much easier to prevent automatic reporting if mails
from your gw were labelled.

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeni°˛ i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering