Today, someone reported me for sending spam to the ruby-talk mailing
list.

I guess technically I did - my news-mail gateway forwards on all
messages in comp.lang.ruby.

Unfortunately, by reporting this, someone temporarily took away my net
access - my ISP stopped my account while investigating. I then spent
30 minutes on the phone with them convincing them that I wasn't some
kind of open relay for spam.

The upshot is that they believed me this time, but probably won't
next.

I can't reliably differentiate spam from other messages, so if I run
the gateway, spam will leak through to the mailing list. If people feel
like this is an affront, and will report this in future to spam copy,
please let me know _now_ and I'll take the gateway down today.

Dave