On 01/06/2010 05:47 AM, Albert Schlef wrote:
> Robert Klemme wrote:
>> On 01/05/2010 12:37 PM, Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah.  I love Ruby, but I'm getting a bit annoyed by the fact that it's
>>> so much slower than Python...
>> The question is: does it matter for most practical purposes - and: do
>> you want to sacrifice a clean and simple program and the fun of creating
>> it for a few cycles of CPU time?  I wouldn't - especially since 1.9 is
>> so much faster than 1.8 was.  My 0.02EUR.
>
> Why does everybody say that CPUs are fast nowadays and that "it dosn't
> mattar that language XYZ is slow"?

Dunno about everybody else.  I did not

a) say that CPU's are fast nowadays,
b) say that it does not matter that Ruby is slow,
c) claim we should not care about Ruby's performance.

I specifically asked "does it matter?"  For me it doesn't (especially
since 1.9 is there) but that does not mean that it doesn't for others.
Hence the question.

> It does matter: web applications. If your applications can't serve all
> the visitors, then you're going to lose your customer or you'll have to
> learn some other language with better performance.

Kirk has responded better than I could and I believe there is nothing
more I could add to this.

Kind regards

	robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/