Robert Klemme wrote:
> On 01/05/2010 12:37 PM, Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
>
>> Yeah.  I love Ruby, but I'm getting a bit annoyed by the fact that it's
>> so much slower than Python...
>
> The question is: does it matter for most practical purposes - and: do
> you want to sacrifice a clean and simple program and the fun of creating
> it for a few cycles of CPU time?

No.  That's why I haven't learned Python yet, although between the speed
increase and GAE, it's sometimes tempting.  But I'd really miss the
beautiful design of Ruby.

But my point was a bit different.  Python and Ruby are basically similar
languages, and what annoys me is that there seems not to have been the
will in the Ruby community to steal some speed tricks from Python.  (I'd
be working on this if I knew anything practical about language
implementation, but I don't.)

>  I wouldn't - especially since 1.9 is
> so much faster than 1.8 was.  My 0.02EUR.

Unfortunately, I don't quite trust 1.9 for use with Rails yet...

> Kind regards
>
>   robert

Best,
--??