Robert Klemme wrote:
> For tests like these it helps to place a line
> like this at the beginning of the script:
>
> $stdout.sync = $stderr.sync = true

I agree that's a good idea, but I don't think it actually makes a
difference here.

For one thing, the first output line ("-2") was shown on the terminal
immediately, so there's no reason why the second line ("-1") should not
be.

For another thing, the same program worked fine on the two 1.8.7
platforms but not the 1.8.6, on the same machine.

And finally, $stderr is usually unbuffered anyway (on Unix; I know I
can't make such assumptions about Windows).