> Oh, my apologies, I had put the user info there to show that I was
> giving input (as if @echo hadn't been turned off). As for that program,
> it behaves almost the same way - locking up until user gives input, then
> displaying i if the 2 seconds have expired.

OK. I've now got a Windows XP box beside me. I tried the threaded
version of prg2.rb with:

(1) rubyinstaller-1.8.6-p383-rc1.exe from
rubyforge.org/projects/rubyinstaller
(this is about a year newer than the 186-27_rc2 you have)

(2) cygwin-1.7.1 which has ruby-1.8.7-p72-2 package under 'interpreters'

(3) ruby 1.8.7-p72 binary from www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

The first fails in the way you described: that is, the sleeping thread
doesn't "wake up" until some input has been given to stdin.

However the second and third work just fine, in the same way as it does
under Linux. That is, I see a new number every 2 seconds, and I can type
in input whenever I like and get it echoed back immediately.

So clearly the problem is with how ruby is built in the one-click
installer. You may wish to raise a ticket against it, using this as a
demonstration of the problem. But in any case there are two other
working versions of ruby you can use instead.

HTH,

Brian.