2010/1/3 Robert Klemme <shortcutter / googlemail.com>:

>> The idea is that you can translate Ruby to Lisp in this way and get
>> some
>> more speed but the syntax requires a little more typing.
>>
>> What do you think of this? (code in comp.lang.lisp)
>
> My 0.02EUR: interpretation of programming languages in other programming
> languages usually does not help improve performance. I believe the approach
> to let Ruby run on a highly optimized runtime environment (like JRuby does
> with the JWM or IronRuby with CLR) is a more promising approach if you want
> to speed up Ruby execution.

While it does not necessarily improve performance it may improve
interoperability between the two languages. That requires a full
interpreter of the original syntax, though. Doing that correctly for
Ruby has proven quite difficult in other languages and I don't see any
reason for Lisp being any different in this regard.

Thanks

Michal