Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
>> If the image has to be maintained using the normal OS mechanisms -
>> apt-get update or whatever - then I don't think I'd be interested. There
>> are plenty of existing mechanisms for bootstrapping a VM image.
>
> Could you clarify this: do you mean the OS within the Virtual Machine,
> or updating the VM image?

Everything within the VM image: the O/S, the ruby version, the gems,
everything it provides which is not stuff I added myself.

If this is going to be a pre-built Ubuntu image with ruby and a bunch of
gems installed, then I could just use debootstrap or ubuntu-vm-builder
to prepare it, and apt-get update (or unattended-upgrades) would keep it
up to date.

OTOH, if this is a teaching tool, then upgrading is not really a big
deal. When it becomes stale, the user can throw it away and get a fresh
one.

Perhaps your focus is on people who don't already have a Linux distro on
their desktop, but who are able to install something like vmware-player
to run the image? If so, then I misunderstood the aim. When I read ruby
VM, I was thinking of people running datacentres who want an easy way to
install and maintain many Ruby application servers.