Tony Arcieri wrote:
> I'd again ask if you're trying to do I/O or thread synchronization here.
> It
> sure sounds like the latter to me.
>
> ConditionVariables will work on Windows just fine.

Well, it seems the problem is primarily occuring with Open3.popen3
(which I downloaded the support for Windows from RAA
(http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/win32-open3/)). When I am attempting
to call .gets() on the STDERR line, it won't let me input anything into
STDIN via .puts() until the .gets() method is over (they are being
called in seperate threads). I tried using select on STDERR so that it
wouldn't lock up with .gets() if there was no data, but as mentioned
earlier in this topic, select only works properly with sockets on
Windows machines.

If you think ConditionVariables would help me in this case, could you
please give me an example of how they would go about fixing this
problem?