Phillip,

Ruby was not there.  I changed the path setting within Vista through the
control panel.  Now SciTE finds ruby, and the F5 command works as
intended.  (I had first tried changing PATH from the command line, but
the change did not stick, which is why I continued to have problems.)
Now C:\users\roger\documents\rubyfiles>test3.rb works and
C:\users\roger\documents\rubyfiles>ruby test3.rb works.  Path problem
solved!  Thanks.

-RBA