Aldric Giacomoni wrote:
> Basically, two ... Apparently similar objects give me the following
> differing output:
> [3\] and [3]
> I pasted most of it up on pastie so it became a bit more readable.
>
> I am taking a text file and reading it like so:
> File.open(filename, 'r') { |f| @sgf = f.read }
> It then gets split into an array of single characters.
>
> Here is the rest, though I'm afraid it may not make much sense.
> http://pastie.org/760500
>
> The gist of it is ... Why would a backslash "disappear" ? I mean, the
> files are going through the same code and getting parsed the same way!

You need to boil this down to a minimal test case which demonstrates the
problem. As you boil it down, you'll probably find the problem yourself.
If you don't, then you'll have a <10 line program that you can paste
here, that we can run, and we can explain any bits of it that you don't
understand.

Try using 'puts x.inspect' instead of 'pp x' - it may be clearer what's
going on.