Say, I am working to try modifying a gem I have partly installed, locally, but
the gem documents don't help me, so far, to learn how to look up and run things.
  I can see from the README how to reinstall from inside the source directory,
but  here are some questions:

1.  Is it possible to look up older versions of the gem, that might work, from
the repository, so that I could install one of them using --version ?

2.  Is there a gem option to install from a local gem directory so that this
could be done without the SA shell commands, but rather with a canonical "gem"
sequence to do the ruby extconf.rb;make;make install

?

xc
--
"It's the preponderance, stupid!" - Professor Stephen Schneider, IPCC member