Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
> On 29.12.2009 18:07, Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
>
>> they've always used it.  Let 'em install it if they want to, but
>> hopefully they'll fire up Emacs or Kate first.
>
> That's myopic. If you want to win over people to use Ruby, you need to
> make the transition as easy as possible.

Precisely why we should have at least one IDE. Maybe we can talk to the
Jetbrains people and have a limited version of Rubymine on there; but
that may be a little later in the game :)

> If a case can be made, then sure. But we don't have endless room,
> either, alas, so there will be cuts. Which is why IDEs are lower on the
> priority list than a good editor that runs Ruby code on the push of a
> button.

I just heard the sound of SCiTe :-)

Marnen does bring up an interesting point. My idea is to give people
lots of choices. Marnen's idea is to direct people.
Going back to the documentation -- if the VM settles for an editor, then
the documentation can be directed at this editor, and possibly make
everything a lot more painless. I vote for redcar, half-jokingly,
half-serious: http://redcareditor.com/

I've started a Wave for the discussion of the editors and gems to add to
the RubyDev VM :
https://wave.google.com/wave/#restored:wave:googlewave.com!w%252BWsu54CnMI

I do think this thread is fine where it is but, as has been said before,
specifics shouldn't pollute this mailing list.