Aldric Giacomoni wrote:
> Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
>> Hello, list!
>>
>> This is, of sorts, a cross post of an idea that lodged itself in my head
>> pretty firmly. ;)
>>
>> As part of scratching an itch (gain access to a *NIX environment for my
>> Ruby work), I've setup an Ubuntu VM.
>>
>> So, I got thinking: Why not offer this to the community as a tool, and
>> why not include the community in creating the best possible Ruby
>> environment?
>>

> VMWare allows "teams" of virtual machines, which can be set up in their
> own little network. It's something to think about, especially now that
> VMWare Player is available for free and all.
>
> I don't know if Ubuntu is a good choice though. It's a can of worms, so
> I don't really want to open it, but I suggest Gentoo: it has a tool
> available to switch painlessly between Ruby 1.8 and 1.9, which allows
> for any and all setup on editors and such to be simple and just link to
> #!/usr/bin/ruby ... For instance.

It wouldn't be hard to do this in Ubuntu either, I think, and Ubuntu
configuration is generally very easy.

> You'll definitely need to include emacs and vim, along with the
> appropriate plugins, and probably Netbeans/Aptana, so people can check
> out different ways of developing.

No, I don't think it's appropriate to include an IDE in something like
this.  Perhaps there should be links to info about some, but I see no
reason that they should be preinstalled.

> Sticking a bunch of tutorials on a folder on the desktop would be a good
> idea as well.

Yup.

> As a tool, this could come in very handy.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org