Phillip Gawlowski wrote:

> Don't be afraid. If you can make a case, that @distro is superior in UX,
> support, and ecosystem, by all means say so!
>
> But keep in mind that a sizable chunk of users of this Appliance are
> more than likely to be utter newbies to Linux *and* Ruby.
>
> If they are stuck, they'll look for support on the web, and it is far
> easier to find a random forum post that handles an Ubuntu issue than any
> other distro (much as I feel that OpenSUSE is superior, personally).
>
> It'd also make things easier for appliance-user MLs, since pointing to
> Ubuntu solutions is so easy. ;)
>
> The Appliance'll have to include custom code, too, to create a smooth
> "turn key" experience, I bet, so the choice of distro might influence
> this.
>
> The choice of distribution to use is *fundamental*, and we better
> consider all the options now, before a single line of code is written.
> :)

Fair points.
I don't want to pollute Ruby-Talk with ... Distro-talk though, so I'll
start writing on this wave (public wave, accessibly by all):
https://wave.google.com/wave/#restored:wave:googlewave.com!w%252BWsu54CnMA
Wave should also be findable with the 'ruby appliance' tag
Hopefully your invite comes through quickly... :)