On 29.12.2009 16:26, Robert Klemme wrote:
> 2009/12/29 Phillip Gawlowski<pg / thimian.com>:

>> Alas, true. Proper, actual managing of appliances, and not just virtual
>> machines (which are almost, but not entirely, completely unlike each other)
>> requires VMWare Workstation. The difference between the tools is *extreme*.
>> The gap'll have only increased since I used VMware Workstation 5.5, too.
>
> I'm not sure I get the difference you are hinting at.  The most
> annoying deficiency of VMWare Server for me is that you can only have
> 1 snapshot at most.

The management tools are vastly different, from managing the VMs
themselves to handling their maintenance. VMWare Workstation allows to
create an appliance out of any snapshot (and allows nested snapshots;
branches, if you like), for example, or VMs and thus appliances out of
"live" operating systems, by doing a disc image (it's more complicated
than that, but that's basically it).

In a nutshell: VMware Worstation is Oracle 10g to VMware Server's MySQL:
Both get the work done, but are quite different beasts if you look at
them in detail. ;)

Besides, VirtualBox is perfectly serviceable by now, and doesn't require
to manage a serial number. ;)

It is one less step to get rolling. :)

>> Not to mention: I'd like to avoid using or requiring commercial tools that
>> are intended to produce vendor lock in (which VMware's tools *are*).
>>
>> Last, but not least, I'd like to expose the unwary to the world of OSS.
>>
>> It's the spirit on which this community was built, and on which it thrives.
>> It's the key stone of how we all interact each other, and the sooner we
>> expose newbies to this, the better.
>
> Another good point.

And the most important one, IMO. :)

>> P.S.: I guess I should look at getting some sort of collaboration site
>> going. Anyone got a Google Wave invite to spare? ;)
>
> Done.

Cool. Thanks. :)

I'll also have a look through Google Sites, since my hosting package
includes Google Apps Basic, so that's an option, too, if I can make it
do what would be needed (since I have only 95 Google Apps accounts left,
and these might be needed to get access to Sites in a collaborative
manner this is a bit of a last resort).

If there are ideas for sites to use (GitHub, for example, to track
project code as well as providing an issue tracker), or PHP/Rails based
solutions I can host, I'm open to suggestions, too. :)

--
Phillip Gawlowski