On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 2:51 AM, Brian Candler <b.candler / pobox.com> wrote:

> Your home page doesn't give any examples of how to use it, and the
> README just says:
>
> "This is a Really Cool Ruby Thing
> ( That deserves better documentation than this. )"

That's since been updated.  Apologies: the initial release announcement was
a touch premature.

As to the advantages over liquid and mustache, I can't be exhaustive.  Both
seem to be targeted at HTML, even if they allow for arbitrary text output.
Stencil is designed, quite frankly, with console output in mind.  As such,
this release doesn't have HTML tag  output or HTML escaping.

Stencil is also strongly inspired by cs/template, and began because
cs/template lacked a means to reference items above the current context
(both cs/template and Stencil access data by means of paths into hash/array
structures - inside of a loop, cs/template couldn't refer to items higher up
in the path)

Stencil also includes functionality to extract data into the hash/array
structure the templates require, and RSpec matchers for quickly confirming
that the intermediary form has the appropriate structure.

Hopefully that gives you some better idea if Stencil will suit your needs.

Judson