--0023541873d8aa8662047b2b0069

2009/12/19 Gary Wright <gwtmp01 / mac.com>

> On Dec 19, 2009, at 10:32 AM, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> >
> > I've been amazed by how subtly disruptive, seemingly simple changes
> > like the result of Array#to_s between Ruby 1.8 and 1.9 can be
> > http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/2009/10/27/its-the-little-things
>
> I still don't understand that particular change. The 1.8 semantics of
> Array#to_s were much more useful in my mind than the 1.9 semantics.
>

> Gary Wright

I don't think so, it became quite a mess when you did:
Values: [1, :b, "cd"]
1.8: Values: 1bcd
1.9: Values: [1, :b, "cd"]
I think the second shows better it's an Array.

Clearly Array#to_s was a (useful) shortcut to Array#join.

But I think that wasn't a way to do what you wanted. #to_s is made to show
the result in a String, usually on screen. It's quite different than wanting
to join every element with the following, what is the sense of #join.

--0023541873d8aa8662047b2b0069--