On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 6:13 AM, David A. Black <dblack / rubypal.com> wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009, Tony Arcieri wrote:
>
>> I would absolutely love if Array recursively performed #=== on its
>> arguments.
>
> It's an interesting idea but I wonder how useful it would be, compared
> to having case equality be essentially == for Arrays. I just can't
> imagine that many cases of, say:
>
>  >  ۯ
My imagination runs instead to all the possibilities of breaking
existing code if such a change to a fundamental class were made.

I've been amazed by how subtly disruptive, seemingly simple changes
like the result of Array#to_s between Ruby 1.8 and 1.9 can be
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/2009/10/27/its-the-little-things

It would be better I think to have a new class which acted like an
Array and did recursive === for the seemingly rare cases where this is
needed.  And I don't think that such a class need be part of the
standard library.  That's the beauty of a language like Ruby,
programmers can extend it for themselves to fit THEIR purposes, which
often are different from MY purposes.

--
Rick DeNatale