> I'm not looking for a "how-to-do-this" in any specific
> way type of answer, but rather if this dynamic array
> or vector is possible in Ruby.  I have a friend who
> programs in C and is learning C++ and he is having a
> heck of a time figuring this out.

Yes, Ruby's built-in array type can grow or shrink quite easily. To be fair,
most of the popular object-oriented programming languages (e.g. Python and
Java) have similar types or classes. For your friend who's learning C++, you
might drop the hint that he wants to look at the "vector" class, which is
part of the standard C++ library. Or even better, tell him to join you in
learning about Ruby ;)