On Sunday 13 December 2009 06:40:09 pm Seebs wrote:
> On 2009-12-14, David Masover <ninja / slaphack.com> wrote:
> > If you mean you'd like to see it go one way or another, that's
> > interesting. Parentheses are often optional in Ruby. I think options are
> > good -- coding conventions should be enforced by the project, not the
> > language.
>
> The problem is that indentation sensitivity isn't optional -- it's
> not something you can just not use if you don't want it, because if
> it's there, you'll get code that relies on it.

That is true of any library. It's also true of the Lisp-like syntax I
mentioned before -- the following is valid Ruby:

((def setf(name, value)
	(instance_variable_set name, value) end);

(setf :@file, (open '/etc/passwd'));
(@file.each_line {|line|
	(puts (line.gsub 'foo', 'bar'))});
(@file.close))

And yes, that's probably going to be unmaintainable, even if you did come from
Lisp. The point is, no one's forcing you to maintain it -- even if someone has
written code like this, you can still choose to ignore it, or maybe to brave
it with some automated tools to sort it out.

Even things like spaces or tabs for indentation are again up to the individual
project or coder to set some standards and adhere to them.

> > For example, I can't get past the horror of PHP or Visual Basic, so my
> > opinion isn't as valuable as that of someone who has done significant
> > development in PHP and lived to tell about it.
>
> I disagree.  I have done significant development in PHP, and your opinion
> is PRECISELY correct.

That's good to know, but again, your firsthand experience is far more valuable
than my opinion which is mostly formed by reading about PHP, and only ever
trying it for a few hours at a time.