On 2009-12-12, Rimantas Liubertas <rimantas / gmail.com> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, in my case, useless because I was using a fairly
>> lightly-documented extension to access Some Other Database.

> Looks like no one ever heard of PDO:
> http://lt2.php.net/manual/en/pdo.prepared-statements.php

Not relevant.

> And yes it works with Some Other Databases too:
> http://lt2.php.net/manual/en/pdo.drivers.php

But not "REAL SQL Server (tm)", a network wrapper around sqlite, for which
the only way to communicate with it is to use a one-off PHP extension which
works only with a specific third-party build of PHP for OS X, and cannot be
used with, say, the standard prebuilt.  (The PHP extension is distributed
as a binary, so no recompiling to match different options.)

Let's just say that, in this case, I do not blame PHP for that selection
of problems.  PHP is also not to blame for the original developer's decision
to use VARCHAR for all fields except primary keys -- but including foreign
key references to primary keys in other tables.

I had about two weeks to get everything running, and a trivial wrapper
which did the quoting in a consistent way was Good Enough.

-s
--
Copyright 2009, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam / seebs.net