Hi, I have a Python software called "py_program". It runs as daemon in Linux
so doing a "ps" I get:

  root 6541 /usr/bin/python /home/ibc/py_program

However in /proc/6541/status I read:

  Name:   py_program

This is good because this means that in Debian it can be stopped with the
command:

  start-stop-daemon --stop --name py_program

Anyhow the proces name is "python" still rather than "py_program":

  ~# netstat -putan | grep 6541
  6541/python

and I cannot kill the process with "killall py_program".

Well, I'm coding a server "rb_program" in Ruby (a HTTP server built with Rack)
and the behavior is different:

  root 5412 ruby1.9 /home/ibc/rb_program

In /proc/5412/status:

  Name:     ruby1.9

So I cannot use "start-stop-daemon --stop --name rb_program" because it would
find no process names "rb_program"
(and of course I cannot use "--name ruby1.9" as I would stop any ruby program
running in the host).

So, is there some way to force the process to appear as "rb_program" in
/proc/PID/status?

Thanks a lot.

--
IƱaki Baz Castillo <ibc / aliax.net>