I am reaching out to get some help/ideas about our current search
implementation.

We are currently using Ferret as our search engine and its not keeping
up with our needs... we are quite needy ;). We have about 5m+ documents
that total around 8-10gb of data and indexing can take up to a half a
day which is obviously not where we want to be.

I've been looking into Solr and Sphinx and I'm am wondering if anyone
would have any thoughts to which would be suite our needs. What are the
pros/cons of each?

Another search related question I have is how would one go about
classifying documents based on content? Does Solr or Sphinx have this
capability? Even better question is how do I go about displaying
categories (and their counts) for a specific search term? For example if
I search for 'hat' I want a category browse like the following:

# Accessories (30,940)
# Children (24,090)
# Crochet (19,884)

How is this done? FYI for a live example of what I want check out:
http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=handmade&search_query=hat

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks