--000e0cd630a656350e047a3e727a

 So, psst, I'm the author of Reia, so you can take my responses as
authoritative :)

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Brian Candler <b.candler / pobox.com> wrote:

> No, I don't think so. Reia will run on the Erlang VM but will be a
> substantially different language to Erlang: it will have destructive
> assignment, and be a lot more dynamic.

Yes, it has destructive assignment and late(r) binding.  However, these are
the only major departures from Erlang, at least for the initial version.

> Being able to compile AOT to .beam files is not necessarily going to be
> provided.

I've had so many requests for this feature I'm certainly going to support
it.

> Furthermore it will have different function call semantics, which you'll
> have to take
> account of if calling reia from erlang or vice versa.
> http://groups.google.com/group/reia/browse_thread/thread/668e6b302bba98b6

This is true, however those call semantics are what enable blocks.  I guess
you don't plan on having blocks.

> What I'm toying with is just a different syntax for standard Erlang,
> which you'd compile to .beam and would be indistinguishable from Erlang
> at that level. Not sure I'm going to have the time, but I've just
> started hacking erlang's existing yecc grammar which looks like the path
> of least resistance.

Well, good luck.  I'm not sure how wild people are going to be about a
language with a Ruby-like grammar and single assignment.

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand

--000e0cd630a656350e047a3e727a--