On 19 Jun 2000, Dave Thomas wrote:

> Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng <hgs / dmu.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Given that I cannot overload =, how should I go about ensuring a deep
> > copy of an object, as opposed to a shallow copy?
>
> Would marshaling do what you need?

Probably, but it would be slow.  I think it is interesting that deep copy
is not available, though I can see why overuse would be a problem.

I would suggest that it is not the sort of thing the programmer should
have to manage if the language implememntation could handle it correctly.

Maybe something to consider for Ruby 2.0 (i.e.  not immediately)?

> Dave

	Hugh