> Essentially what I'd look for in an installer like this would be
> something
> that, first, either starts with a gem, or also builds a gem, to make the
> whole
> process that much easier for people who already know about gems. Then,
> the
> binary package (the exe on Windows) detects or installs Ruby and
> Rubygems,
> then installs gem dependencies using Rubygems (perhaps with ri and rdoc
> disabled by default). If it was designed for JRuby, it could do the same
> with
> the JVM.

So what you would be looking for is instead of the equivalent of a "one
click installer" it's a one click installer that just installs a version
of ruby and any gems needed, then does other things?

That is an interesting idea.  It's the equivalent of an installer that
does  'net download' of some of its components, I suppose.

It does go a bit against the mantra of {at least in the windows world}
an installer is an installer, but it has potential.

My latest thought with installers would be to build one that is the
equivalent of a "traditional" one click installer, but all in ruby,
using visualuruby [windows compatible only].  So basically it unzips
some .tar.gz file into program files\something, which includes all
binaries you might want.

Of course something like that wouldn't work for linux.

I wonder what would be a useful cross platform tool...

Python has http://docs.python.org/distutils/builtdist.html but it seems
to be just for installing the equivalent of gems, and we already have
gems...

Thoughts?
-r