--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

Hello, dear readers of ruby-talk.

I=E2=80=99m an avid user of gem update/gem cleanup pair, but I just
noticed that gem cleanup does not drop old executables.

After =E2=80=98gem install art-decomp -v 0.0.0; gem update; gem cleanup=E2=
=80=99 I still
have the ad-compare executable (which was in 0.0.0 but was renamed to
ad-analyse in 0.1.0).

Similarily, if I have both 0.0.0 and 0.1.0 installed and try to gem
uninstall the 0.0.0 version, it will ask about removing the executables.
If I decline, no executables get removed (so I end up with both 0.0.0=E2=80=
=99s
and 0.1.0=E2=80=99s executables); if I agree, I=E2=80=99m only left with ex=
ecutables
introduced in 0.1.0.

I can understand gem uninstall=E2=80=99s behaviour, but would it make sense=
 that
when I uninstall 0.0.0, there=E2=80=99s an option to remove the executables=
 used
solely by that version? If there was an option for this, gem cleanup
could use it by default.

I=E2=80=99m writing to ruby-talk because I=E2=80=99m not sure I=E2=80=99m n=
ot missing something
about RubyGems; I=E2=80=99m also not sure where to report a bug =E2=80=93 o=
n RubyForge=E2=80=99s
bug tracker or on Ruby=E2=80=99s Redmine (now that RubyGems are a part of 1=
=2E9).

=E2=80=94 Shot
--=20
Anyone who finds the MS Office ribbon intuitive is
not a member of the human species as I understand it.
                                     [William Morgan]

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu--

Hello, dear readers of ruby-talk.

I°«m an avid user of gem update/gem cleanup pair, but I just
noticed that gem cleanup does not drop old executables.

After °∆gem install art-decomp -v 0.0.0; gem update; gem cleanup°« I still
have the ad-compare executable (which was in 0.0.0 but was renamed to
ad-analyse in 0.1.0).

Similarily, if I have both 0.0.0 and 0.1.0 installed and try to gem
uninstall the 0.0.0 version, it will ask about removing the executables.
If I decline, no executables get removed (so I end up with both 0.0.0°«s
and 0.1.0°«s executables); if I agree, I°«m only left with executables
introduced in 0.1.0.

I can understand gem uninstall°«s behaviour, but would it make sensethat
when I uninstall 0.0.0, there°«s an option to remove the executablesused
solely by that version? If there was an option for this, gem cleanup
could use it by default.

I°«m writing to ruby-talk because I°«m not sure I°«m not missing something
about RubyGems; I°«m also not sure where to report a bug  on RubyForge°«s
bug tracker or on Ruby°«s Redmine (now that RubyGems are a part of 1.9).

°Ĺ Shot