Hi all,

We (Masayoshi Takahashi, Takaaki Tateishi and me) have started
ruby-dev ML summarization project. This mail is the first one.
Mails will be posted on every Monday.

---- ruby-dev #16040-16125 (2002-02-23 .. 2002-02-26) ----

[ruby-dev:16041] Method#inspect

  In 1.6, the return value of Method#inspect is not apropriate
  for singleton methods. e.g.

      p File.method(:atime)   #=> #<Method: Class(Class)#atime>

  This is a known feature of ruby 1.6. In 1.7, the behavior is
  changed:

      p File.method(:atime)   #=> #<Method: File.atime>

[ruby-dev:16059] New Struct

  Consider why Struct class is poorly used.
  We need two steps to create a new Struct object, because Struct.new
  creates a new class. How about this shortcut method:

      st = Struct.new(:name => 'ruby', :age => 9)
      p st.type   #=> Struct
      p st.name   #=> "ruby"
      p st.age    #=> 9

    * OpenStruct (lib/ostruct.rb) does same thing.
    * I think C's struct is the background of this idea.
      But the Struct class is pretty different from C's struct.
    * This shortcut is useful when returning multiple objects
      with names. (keyword return value?)

        def some_method
          return Struct.new(:name => 'ruby, :age => 9)
        end

[ruby-dev:16068] UNIXSocket#{send_io,recv_io}

  TANAKA Akira has implemented UNIXSocket#send_io/recv_io, which
  can send IO to other processes. They are acceptable in 1.7.

[ruby-dev:16070] Re: Ruby M17N request

  K.Kosako has announced his new regexp engine "ONI-GRUMA".
  This engine has almost all features of current ruby's
  and it is licensed under the non-GPL free license.
  You can get experimental version of this library from:

      ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/contrib/onigd20020225.tar.gz

  It is a candidate of the regexp engine of Ruby 2.0 (Rite).

[ruby-dev:16049] defined? autoload constant

  Kazuhiro Nishiyama has requested to load "autoload"ed files
  on defined?(const). Matz has rejected this request because
  such code is in bad manner.

[ruby-dev:16050] ParseDate.to_time

  Kazuhiro Nishiyama has requested ParseDate.to_time
  which creates a Time object, not an array, from string.

  --> lib/time.rb does same thing.

[ruby-dev:16074] How to do large file support?

  Oliver M. Bolzer wants to handle large files (over 2GB files).
  Matz is positive for this request.

[ruby-dev:16082] Array#select without block

  Matz is requesting another name of Array#select.
  (see also [ruby-talk:10830])

[ruby-dev:16094] tsort.rb

  TANAKA Akira wants public comments on his topological-sort
  library (This library is going to be bandled with ruby). You can
  get it from cvs.ruby-lang.org ("rough" module) or this URL:

      http://www.ruby-lang.org/~knu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/rough/lib/tsort.rb

[ruby-dev:16109] No trace_func event at if-elsif-else line

  Hiroshi Nakamura (NaHi) has requested to call trace function
  additionally on if/elsif line, for his path coverage viewer. This request
  has been included in 1.7.

      # his path coverage viewer
      http://www.jin.gr.jp/~nahi/RWiki/index.cgi?cmd=view;name=coverage.rb

-- Minero Aoki