I've been noodling all day about how the editing window in RubyStudio should
interact with the keyboard. I want to have a 'syntax aware' mode where the
user just types and window formats the text automagically. I believe that
nobody dislikes this kind of editor. They either like it or they hate it
passionately. So there has to be an option to turn it off.

The hard part is what to do when syntax aware editing is off. My current
thinking is there should be two other options.

1) There is a tab level that is incremented whenever the user types a tab at
the beginning of a line and decremented when she backspaces over a tab at
the beginning of a line. Merely hitting return inserts the current number of
tabs at the start of the line. Hitting alt-return zeros the tab level and
types a newline.

2) Do nothing but respect ~/Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict. On
the assumption that users who want something like emacs or vi keybinding are
smart enough to have figured out how to set this as a user preference on the
Mac.

Does this sound right? Don't hesitate to say if I'm all wet here.
--
I have discovered that all human evil comes from this, man's being unable
to sit still in a room. -Blaise Pascal, philosopher and mathematician