Massimiliano Mirra <list / chromatic-harp.com> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 08:07:52AM +0900, Dave Thomas wrote:
> > happy to include it - it would be nice to be able to have local
> > images.
>
> Maybe just a directive like $IMAGEDIR=~/src/projectname/images at the
> top, and then filenames throughout the source that end with a certain
> extension (.png, .jpg etc.) are converted into a link by merging them
> with $IMAGEDIR?

OK - how about this for an idea. Have a new kind of hyperlink

   link:<stuff>

It operates just like (say) http:<stuff>, except:

1. the link: part is stripped off, and nothing is put in its
   place.

2. The URL is automatically adjusted to be relative to the --op
   directory if it doesn't start '#'

So, you could say

  link:images/cow.gif

and it would be replaced by  (or however
many ../'s were needed). When you build your documentation, you'd
arrange to do

   mkdir doc/images
   cp cow.gif doc/images/cow.gif

If instead you had

  link:html/license.html

You could say

  See the file link:html/license.html for details

and it would generate the necessary <a href="../../html/license.html">...

The think I like about this is that is works equally well both locally
and via http.

Does that work for folks?

Dave