Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

> Next time I'll be more of a masochist and lay out a more arbitrary set
> of criteria so that the focus of what I am trying to understand moves
> elsewhere.

Actually, and with all friendly intent, please read this:
It's a pretty interesting read. Since I've read it, it's occurred
several times that the following happens to me:
1) I have a problem/question to which I can't find the answer
2) I go to a forum / newsgroup and start to write the problem.
3) In the course of laying out the problem, I think of ways to explain
exactly the problem (how it occurs, how to repeat it, etc)
4) I find the solution, close the tab, and continue working.

If you want the right answer, ask the right question. It can be a bit
tricky at first, but it's quite a useful skill.