On Nov 22, 7:11  㮮
> I don't question any of your points about the mysql gem but, as I
> pointed out in my second post, I nevertheless had no problem using it
> directly to read or write to a db hosted by a 5.1 server. It was only
> activerecord that was generating exceptions.

The issue is actually using a libmysql.dll different than the one used
to build the gem.

Just placing the correct libmysql.dll version will allow you speak to
different versions of MySQL remotely.

Now, ActiveRecord MySQL adapter perhaps is evaluating the version of
MySQL used and incorrectly use the local one instead of the remote/
server one, thus generating the errors you're seeing.

--
Luis Lavena