>  Also, there is
> nothing about tk in the book, which is what i'm mostly interested in
> because i think creating gui's would be pretty cool if i could get good
> at it.

In that case, I'd highly recommend you have a look at the
http://www.tkdocs.com site that I put together.

It provides a broad tutorial about how to use Tk, and includes lots of
explanation of the concepts behind the different features you'll be
using.  There are also lots of examples, both small ones and larger ones
that are built up one piece at a time.

I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from people that it helped them
get going with GUI programming, so hopefully it might be of help to you.

Mark