On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Marnen Laibow-Koser <marnen / marnen.org> wrote:
> David A. Black wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
>>

>>> http://www.ruby-doc.org/core-1.8.7/classes/Class.html
>> It says:
>>

>> but it does not say that all instances of Class are metaclasses :-)
>
> But I think that is what is meant.
> page make sense?
> name in that diagram.     >
>> That would make "metaclass" a synonym for "class", which wouldn't make
>> sense.
>
> I think that "metaclass" is here a synonym for the Class object, as
> opposed to the class declaratio or anything else.

Then how does the sentence before the sentence you originally quoted make sense:

In the diagram that follows, the vertical arrows represent
inheritance, and the parentheses meta-classes. All metaclasses are
instances of the class `Class

There are lots of parenthesized 'metaclasses' and none ARE Class.

--
Rick DeNatale