On Nov 14, 2009, at 8:56 PM, Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

> This article is appallingly poorly thought out, and in any case only=20=

> warns against using typed arguments (hardly possible anyway in Ruby) =
and=20
> using inheritance where composition was actually necessary (a basic OO=20=

> analysis mistake).  It brings little or nothing useful to the present=20=

> discussion.

I chose an example of the discussion.  It is in no way isolated.  The =
Gang of Four book is largely about avoiding inheritance.  James Gosling =
admits that he wishes he could do away with objects for typing in Java, =
as the article says.  You even stated that types aren't all that =
important in Ruby, which I agree with, but that seems like and argument =
against all of your examples that handle all typing with subclassing.

Anyway, I've given examples and provided reference points.  I hope I've =
made my case.  Now we're probably just bugging people, so I'm going to =
let it go.

James Edward Gray II=