On Thursday 12 November 2009 09:30:14 am Homer Najafi wrote:
> Is there any way in Ruby to say Open the file remotely (e.g.
> erver2:/home/test/test.txt (assuming there is no Server of any kind
> installed on Server2).

Short answer: No. That's really not a Ruby question, either -- would you
expect that to work in any language?

> Strange is if I have a command like run "bash --login -c 'touch
> test.txt'", it will create test.txt in the right defined Host (Server2).
> But °∆open°« somehow is failing.

Ah, now this is a Capistrano question. FYI, there is a Capistrano group.

First, how are you running this command? Ruby has two main ways of running
commands: system and backticks. It seems you're doing neither of these, but
rather, "run", which is a Capistrano command.

Run sends that command over to the remote server, over the ssh connection, to
run there.

Ruby code in Cap, however, runs locally. Try running the same command with
"system" and see what happens.

If all you're wanting to do is programmatically generate a file as you upload
it, I seem to remember some Capistrano recipes for that. It's been awhile,
though, and I'm feeling lazy, so ask the Capistrano group.