* Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale / gmail.com> (2009-11-10) schrieb:

> Mark/Sweep is a fairly primitive GC technique, it was probably the
> second technique applied in the long history of GC.  There are more
> recent techniques such as generation scavenging which makes use of the
> observance that most objects in a uniformly object-oriented language
> like Ruby either live a very short, or a reasonably long life time
> with the preponderance being short-lived. Generation scavenging
> collects the short-lived objects very efficiently, and typically uses
> mark-sweep less frequently to clean up the older ones.

In my understanding these are orthogonal concepts. How to find out what
to collect, and how to do the collection.

Mark and sweep is a technique to find collectable objects just like
reference counting. And a copying gc (like a generational) is a
way of collecting these objects, more efficient than calling free().

mfg,                simon .... l