I just installed and tried it and got the same thing. I read the docs and
found that you need to subclass Base to get a mapping. e.g.

class User < ActiveLdap::Base
 ldap_mapping
end

And the config is different. So here is what I got so far:

require 'active_ldap'

ActiveLdap::Base.setup_connection(
    :host     => "hostname",
    :bind_dn => "username",