I attempted to install Ruby with Tk on a 486 PC under SUSE Linux 7.0.
Ruby works fine.  However when I try to run a Ruby script which
requires Tk I get the message:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.6/tk.rb:7:in `require': No such file to load --
tcltklib (LoadError)
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.6/tk.rb:7
        from address:3:in `require'
        from address:3

The version of Ruby is 1.6.6.

What I did:
I didn't have Tcl/Tk on my machine so first I installed Tcl/Tk 8.3.4.2
from ActiveState. I am not familiar with Tcl/TK but the installation
appeared to be error free.  I changed my PATH to point to the /bin
directory of the ActiveState install and could run a demo program
included with the installation using >wish hello.

I got the Ruby install ruby-1.6.6.tar.gz, uncompressed it and
untarred.
I ran ./configure
make
make test   (succeeded)
and  make install (as root)

The make install reported amongst other things:
installing tcltklib
installing tk
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ramsay/ruby/ruby-1.6.6/ext/tk'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ramsay/ruby/ruby-1.6.6/ext/tk'

Any suggestions where I may have gone wrong gratefully received.

The one-stop Windows installation from Ruby central worked fine for
both Ruby and Tk.

Many Thanks.