Joshua Ballanco wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2009, at 6:35 AM, Seebs wrote:
>
>> On 2009-11-09, Marnen Laibow-Koser <marnen / marnen.org> wrote:
>>> Would you?  Or would you rather see
>>> count = blahblahblah.count do |args|
>>> lots_of_stuff
>>> condition
>>> end
>> Huh!  That is prettier.  Didn't know it existed.
>>
>> But in general, basically, any place where we have a += 1, I'd prefer ++.
>>
>> And I am pretty sure that +=1 is occasionally useful.
>
> ..and *this* is where, in the long long history of this thread, where I finally realized the *real* issue here.
>
> Let's take Rails... rails, activerecord, activeresource, actionpack, actionmailer, and activesupport...
>
> 106,518 lines of Ruby code
>
> 66 instances of foo += 1 (or foo += 100)
>
> That's 0.06% of the lines of code! If you're writing Ruby code and your fraction is higher, chances are you're "doing it wrong".

Or your style of programming is different than the programmer(s) in the
code you researched.  As an example earlier in the thread I showed one
way to separate the city, state, and zip code from a string, at least
two other authors showed totally different methods.  They all returned
the same results so which one was right?  One used regular expressions
and the other used split and map.  x = x + 1 returns the same result as
x += 1 but is probably easier for some people to understand quickly.