Ralph Shnelvar wrote:
> Newbie here:
>
> I will want/need to create an array of approximately 300K rows and 20
> columns. The array will be an array of either 32-bit quantities or
> 64-bit quantities.
>
> Does Ruby support native 64-bit quantities?
>
> What's a good/best way to to create such an array. Is there a way to
> tell Ruby, "OK, I'm done with this array."
>
> Can one create such an array such that the garbage collector can
> free the memory in one fast operation?
>
> Ralph

I don't know when arrays stop being as performant as one could wish. For
a problem of this size, it seems to me that one may want instead to use
a database, such as sqlite, or a stronger beast? I expect it'll make
your code more readable, too.
Is there a particular reason to not make the jump to a database?