On 2/28/02 5:38 AM, "Ron Jeffries" <ronjeffries / REMOVEacm.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 05:21:24 GMT, Chris Gehlker <gehlker / fastq.com> wrote:
>
>> As a Mac baby I just had to step through ruby in GDB *from the command line*
>> and it made my head and my fingers hurt. Do you guys using more traditional
>> *nixen really do that all day or do you have nice X-Windows clicky things?
>
> I've been using Ruby for what, over a year now, and I don't even know how to
> run
> any of the debuggers. I keep thinking maybe I should learn, but why ...

Don't ask me. I don't see the need for Ruby debuggers yet either. Ruby
itself makes it so easy to see what's happening.

I was calling Ruby itself as a child process from RubyStudio and screwing up
argument passing. All the debugging of my own code wasn't giving me a clue.
I had to put Ruby itself under the debugger to see what Ruby thought my code
was telling it.

--
In the midst of great joy, do not promise anyone anything. In the midst of
great anger, do not answer anyone's letter. -Chinese proverb