On Nov 5, 2009, at 7:18 AM, Roger Pack wrote:

>> No worries! Allgems is easily the best free service I've ever used...
>> In fact, I'd pay (especially if the search functionality worked
>> across
>> gems)! ;-)
>
> Wow just for that I'll keep it running just for you :)
> The current code base is under some serious modification but hopes
> to be
> even better http://github.com/spox/allgems
>
> What type of search would you like exactly? (like it searches
> descriptions, as well? source code?)

Hey, awesome! I didn't realize the code was on GitHub... If/when I get
some time I'll have to give a look. As for searching, there are two
improvements I'd love to see: 1. Filtering of Classes the same way you
can filter methods. For methods, the search is nice for
discoverability. For classes, I'd like the search just so that my
scrolling finger doesn't get tired on some of the larger gems. 2. An
across gem search. Honestly something like what ri can do across
classes would be enough. When I see an unfamiliar 'zabraboof' method,
instead of having to go back through the source to find what all gems
were included at any point, it'd be nice to be able to go to Allgems
and just search for it.

Finally, as a sort of "out-there" suggestion... I got to thinking how
nice it would be to have a sort of "personalized" Allgems page. What
I'm imagining is a combination of some very basic (unauthenticated,
even) account tracking on the web app combined with a gem plugin. The
plugin would get a list of the gems installed on your system and push
them to Allgems. Then you could log-in to Allgems and see only the
documentation for the gems you currently have installed. Just an idea...

Cheers, and keep up the good work!

- Josh